We are all aware of the destruction inflicted by Boko Haram on North East Nigeria resulting in the havoc of several Church buildings, Bishop and Reverend Fathers’ Houses, decrease in Mass attendance and migration of Christians from the state. Now they might be far away from us, but the Gospel teaches they are all our brothers and sisters. It is easy to develop a numbness to consistent bad news, at least until it affects us personally. And maybe that is the problem; many of us don’t see this as personal loss. Whatever the case, it is our duty to care for our brothers and sisters and you need to know that you can do something to help.
In Maiduguri alone, 22 parish central Churches and 306 outstation churches have been razed, and there has been a mass exodus of Christians to Cameroon and surrounding Nigerian states. There are over 100,000 lay faithful as Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) with 3,860 widows and 15,000 orphans. 26 Priests, 32 Nuns and 200 Catechists have been forced to flee the region. All this leaves many of the inhabitants with no place to worship and no priests or religious to feed their souls and hunger for Christ. Think about it – thousands of Christians who have no means of receiving the Sacraments.
As a result of these violent attacks and its attendant consequences and following the appeal made by the Bishop of Maiduguri, the archdiocese of Lagos has decided to take up a Special Collection on SUNDAY 21ST MAY 2017 IN ALL OUR PARISHES in Lagos to support of the Diocese of Maiduguri. To this end, the Bishop and some of his priests will be going to the following parishes to create awareness and consequently make appeals. Below is a list of parishes and priests who will be visiting to create awareness.
- Bishop Oliver D. Dashe – Church of Assumption, Falomo
- Fr. John Bakeni- Archangels Parish, Satellite Town.
- Fr. William Livinus – St. Cyprian, Oko-Oba.
- Fr. Gideon Obasogie – St. Kizito, Iju.
- Fr. Alex Miskita – Sacred Heart, Ojota.
- Fr. Jacob Iranda – Our Lady, Queen of Peace, Gbagada-Ifako.
- Fr. Alphonsus Afina – St. Peter Claver, Ajao Estate.
- Fr. Angelo Vakaru – St. Augustine, Ikorodu
- Fr. Peter Samson – Catholic Church of Presentation, Ikeja-GRA.
- Fr. Philibus Yakubu – St. Mary, Isolo
- Fr. Cosmas Da Jump – Mother of Perpetual Help, Amuwo-Odofin
- Fr. Peter Uchebu – Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Orile-Iga
So how can you help?
- This is a push, a reminder, an additional appeal to give as much as you can this Sunday 21/05/2017 during collection at any Catholic Church in Lagos.
- If you won’t be in Lagos this Sunday, you can also make a bank transfer: Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos-Projects/Maiduguri collection – Zenith Bank 1015137783 sort code: 057150217
- Most importantly, please continue to pray for the intentions of our brothers and sisters in the north.
Remember our Lord as He said,
‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.’ Matthew 25:40.
Let us help our brothers and sisters in the North rebuild their lives, their churches, and their faith.