To All Clergy, Religious & Laity in the Archdiocese of Lagos
Peace of Christ!
1. It is 100 years this year since the apparitions of Our Lady at Fatima. In view of this, the Holy Father, Pope Francis, has declared a Centenary Celebration running
from November 27th 2016 to November 26th 2017.
2. Following suit, the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) has directed that the Marian Year be celebrated all over the country.
3. We are therefore pleased to inform all Christ’ faithful in the Archdiocese of plans towards celebrating this great event in our Archdiocese.
4. To set the ball in motion, a Committee was set comprising of members drawn from all Marian bodies in the Archdiocese; Rev Fr. Andrew G. Abhulimen heads
the Committee, while Very Rev. Fr. Michael Umoh is in charge of the publicity.
5. Inauguration ceremony in our Archdiocese will begin with a Novena in all Parishes from Thursday May 18th – Friday May 26th, 2017. On Saturday, May
27th, there will be a Marian procession from the National Stadium to the Marian Shrine in Maryland at 7.00am. The Inaugural Mass follows immediately after the
procession. Deans and Parish Priests should please mobilise the people of God to participate actively in this event.
6. The Year should be observed in the following ways:
I. Monthly Novena prayers ending with First Saturday Devotion in all
II. Prayer for the Marian should be said in all Parishes.
III. Family Marian Devotion and Rosary.
IV. Solemn celebration of all Marian Feasts in the Parishes.
V. Parishes and Deaneries to embark on Pilgrimage to key Marian Shrines in the Archdiocese; Maryland, Ave Maria Ikate and Marian Grotto at Ibiye.
7. Closing ceremony begins with
I. Novena Prayers in all Parishes from October 19th – 27th, 2017.
II. Closing Mass on 28th October at a venue yet to be determined.
8. The Committee will make available to all Parish Priests in charge (through the Deans) and heads of all Archdiocesan establishments and Religious Institutes, the
other programmes and media materials.
9. We request that special attention should be focused on all Marian Grottos within our Archdiocese by way of repairs, maintenance and adornment during this
season and more devotions should be organised around them.
10. We request that all Episcopal Vicar, Deans and Parish Priests and Priests in Charge give maximum support in all manners appropriate and necessary towards
ensuring the success of this programme for the spiritual benefit of the people and nation, and for the well-deserved honor of our Blessed Mother Mary.
11. Please direct all enquiries to the Archdiocesan Marian Year Programme Coordinator, Rev Fr. Andrew Abhulimen (08053095933)